Thursday, September 3, 2015

In Memory of Brookes



I have met so many amazing people along my journey. Just the other day I received a message from my new friend Tanya. She shared with me the story of her brave son Brookes... this 
year would have been his 35th Birthday. Brookes had CF and passed away Sept. 3, 1988 at the age of eight, following one of the very first heart/lung transplants for CF patients in this country. He lived in Vermont where Milkweed is plentiful and he could often be seen opening up their pods filled with magical wishes and angel wings. 

In his memory she is asking others to plant milkweed in their own backyards to create a  way station for the Monarch butterflies. For information about monarchs, milkweed and way stations, go to www.monarchwatch.org. 

I have always been a huge fan of butterflies and never even knew about the importance of milkweed and way stations. Tanya is sending me some milkweed seeds so I can plant them in my backyard. Although my thumb is far from green I am honored to be a part of Brookes' story. If you happen to find yourself planting milkweed after reading this comment below with what State you live in, so Tanya can track Brookes' path of angel wings. 

I believe every experience doesn't just happen by chance and I found myself smiling when Tanya was telling me about the butterflies and milkweed. I was smiling because I remembered this photo I took last year when I attended a butterfly release just 8 days before Brookes 34th bday... I sent it to Tanya and she confirmed that the pic I took was indeed of milkweed. I'm pretty sure when I snapped that pic a year ago it was just my angels above keeping me on track. 
Breathe out Love! Xo

No comments: